Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Stand Firm

Therefore put on God’s complete armor, that you may be able to resist and stand your ground on the evil day [of danger], and, having done all [the crisis demands], to stand [firmly in your place]. Stand therefore [hold your ground].....
Ephesians 6:13-14
Sitting sounds a lot better than standing doesn't it? In fact, it is proven that it is easier to walk at a slow and steady pace than it is to stand in one place for an extended period of time. Standing firmly in place requires intention; it requires muscle strength and focus. 
These verses are not talking about standing in the physical sense but in the spiritual. I am realizing that standing firm mentally is harder than standing physically. My mind is prone to care more about people's opinions of me than God. It is prone to discouragement and fear. The good news is, God's word says I do not have to have to live in a mental state, agonizing about what others think, living in discouragement or fear. I can choose though His power to Stand Firm mentally today.
Today I am challenged to:
1) Be on alert and on guard. STANDING FIRM... 1 Corinthians 16:13
Not zoning out at any chance I get and get on social media and waste the day. Instead being alert to what is going on around me, looking for opportunities to serve, encouraging and sharing Him with people, first and foremost my family.
2) Be Free! STANDING FAST, not hampered and enslaved to any yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1
Not dwelling on my insecurities or the offset comments of those who think I should be living my life differently, enslaved by other's opinions. Instead, resting in His love and approval of me. 
3) Put on the full armor of God that I may be able to successfully STAND UP against the schemes of the devil. Ephesians 6
Not to waste time, going about my day unintentionally but intentionally think on scripture, on truth today. The scripture I know will help me in my struggle against my flesh. 
4) Be alert, the devil roars prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him; STANDING FIRM in the faith because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kinds of sufferings. 1 Peter 5
Not to be discouraged in my fight against my flesh and the evil one but to remember I am not alone and I have all I need to fight these battles, immediately turning that thought that I know I shouldn't dwell on to Him; replacing it with the truth of His word, always asking for help from my friends if I need to be transparent and ask for prayer. 

The goal is to STAND FIRM against the enemy without wavering or falling. It is possible or God's word wouldn't have commanded it.

Lord, strengthen me today with all power according to his glorious might so that I may have great endurance and patience.* Help the truth of your word to sink deep in my heart, changing the way I think.* I know with you all things are possible.* Amen!

*Col 1:11; Romans 12:1-2; Phil 4:13




No comments: